Discover Scuba Diving
The PADI Discover Scuba Diving program introduces people to scuba diving in a highly supervised and relaxed manner. It dispels common misconceptions about scuba by letting individuals try it for themselves. Under the guidance of a PADI professional, participants will learn basic safety concepts, put on equipment and swim around underwater in a closely supervised environment. Discover Scuba Sessions typically require two to three hours to complete, including pool-side briefing, pool time, and debriefing.
Whenever possible, an Orientation Session will be provided at House of Scuba's facilities prior to the Discover Scuba Session:
5141 Santa Fe Street, Suite A
San Diego, CA 92109
The objectives of the orientation session are as follows:
- Introduce participants to the Owners, Instructors and Dive Masters at House of Scuba;
- Provide a tour of the facilities at House of Scuba;
- Complete all necessary paperwork for the Discover Scuba Program;
- Fit the participants for dive equipment;
- Young adults (participants ages 10 or 11) and their parent or legal guardian review the Youth Diving: Responsibility and Risks video or thoroughly review the Youth Diving: Responsibility and Risks Flipchart;
- Review Discover Scuba Session Schedule; and
- Answer any questions the participants have regarding the Discover Scuba Session or other programs and equipment offered by House of Scuba.
Note: Where participants aren't able to attend the Orientation Session, House of Scuba will provide a sizing chart for the participant to complete prior to the Discover Scuba.
The Discover Scuba Sessions will take place at one of the pool facilities utilized by House of Scuba. The minimum class size in order to conduct the class is 4 participants, while the maximum class size is 12 participants. Each class will be taught by a Certified and Insured Scuba Instructor, and we will provide one to two Certified and Insured Dive Masters to assist with the pool sessions as necessary.
The format of the Discover Scuba Sessions is as follows:
- Participants not able to attend the Orientation Session will meet with the House of Scuba Instructor 30 minutes prior to the Discover Scuba Session to address administrative requirements.
- Dive Master's assemble scuba equipment and arrange at pool side for participants.
- House of Scuba's Instructor provides an overview of the programs offered.
- Pool Side Briefing: House of Scuba's Instructor introduces and explains the use of a mask, fins, buoyancy control device (BCD), regulator and pressure gauge. He or she will also review any other equipment participants will wear - exposure protection, weight system, alternate air source, etc.
- Prior to entering the water, the Instructor will review breathing rules and equalization techniques, as well as regulator and mask clearing. The Instructor will also provide an overview of essential safety information and basic scuba skills.
- Entering the pool, House of Scuba's Instructor and/or Dive Master will assist participants in putting on and adjusting their scuba equipment.
- House of Scuba's Instructor will directly supervise participants as they breathe underwater and swim around in shallow water. When comfortable, House of Scuba's Instructor and/or Dive Master will take the participants on tours in deeper water as appropriate.
Note: House of Scuba Instructors may, at their discretion, introduce skills from the PADI Open Water Diver course Confined Water Dive One. Skills mastered during the Discover Scuba Diving program may be credited toward PADI Open Water Diver course requirements.
- At the conclusion of the Discover Scuba experience, House of Scuba's Instructor will debrief the participants, reminding them that they need additional training to dive without professional supervision, encouraging them to move on to certification programs, recognizing them for their accomplishments, and completing registration procedures.
- Participants will receive instant recognition via a Discover Scuba Certification Card signed by the Instructor.
- House of Scuba's Instructor will register each Discover Scuba Diving participant with the PADI Office within 30 days of their Discover Scuba Session.
To participate in the PADI Discover Scuba Diving program, an individual must:
- Be 10 years or older.
- Review, complete and sign the PADI Discover Scuba Diving affirmation of risk and medical history screen (as found in the PADI Discover Scuba Diving brochure or other documents as specified by your PADI Office) before entering the water.
- Parent or guardian signature is required for new divers younger than legal age.
- If the new diver answers "yes" to any condition on the form's medical history section, the diver must receive medical approval prior to any in-water activities.
House of Scuba Responsibilities:
- In conducting the Orientation and Discover Scuba Sessions, House of Scuba will provide all required scuba equipment. House of Scuba will provide Buoyancy Compensators, Regulators, Scuba Tanks, Weights, Wetsuits and Hoods (as necessary), Masks, Snorkels, Fins and Boots.
- House of Scuba will transport all required equipment to the pool facilities, assemble equipment for participants, and return dive equipment to House of Scuba.
- House of Scuba will provide Instructors who are PADI Members in a Teaching status (renewed with current Professional Liability Insurance) and/or Dive Masters in Active status (renewed with current Professional Liability Insurance).
In order to participate in the Discover Scuba Sessions, the participant need only complete the administrative paperwork, and provide a bathing suit, towel, and willingness to learn and experience scuba diving.
What Does it Cost?
- Packaged Price of $99.00 (all inclusive)
Are you ready to experience one of the most adventurous activities possible? Call us at 858.581.2800 and ask to speak with one of our Scuba Instructors!